Friday, February 5, 2010

Area and Perimter with Google Maps

I found an interesting way to work on perimeter and area with students. I say interesting because it can be difficult to keep students on task when you ask them to find the perimeter and area of this "figure". Doesn't that look fun!



I like to give my students something real and interactive. All you need is Google Maps and a Google account.

1. Go to www.maps.google.com and log in.
2. Select the my maps tab on the left and Browse the directory to find these mapplets - Distance Measurement Tool and the Area and Distance Calculator.
3. Now you can go anywhere in the world and measure the length and width of an unlimited number of "figures"!
4. This works GREAT with an interactive whiteboard because you can annotate over the map!









No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments!